This morning the Internal Revenue Service started accepting individual e-file returns. At least for some taxpayers.
The IRS had delayed the e-filing time line to make changes caused by the passage of the American Taxpayers Relief Act on January 1, 2013. The IRS is still making changes to some critical forms that have delayed a significant number of taxpayers from filing.
The IRS has warned that it will not be able to accept some types of individual tax returns, including those with education tax credits, until at least mid-February. Here is a list of some other forms that will not be processed until late February or March.
- Form 3800 General Business Credit
- Form 4136 Credit for Federal Tax Paid on Fuels
- Form 4562 Depreciation and Amortization (Including Information on Listed Property)
- Form 5074 Allocation of Individual Income Tax to Guam or the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
- Form 5471 Information Return of U.S. Persons With Respect to Certain Foreign Corporations
- Form 5695 Residential Energy Credits
- Form 5735 American Samoa Economic Development Credit
- Form 5884 Work Opportunity Credit
- Form 6478 Credit for Alcohol Used as Fuel
- Form 6765 Credit for Increasing Research Activities
- Form 8396 Mortgage Interest Credit
- Form 8582 Passive Activity Loss Limitations
- Form 8820 Orphan Drug Credit
- Form 8834 Qualified Plug-in Electric and Electric Vehicle Credit
- Form 8839 Qualified Adoption Expenses
- Form 8844 Empowerment Zone and Renewal Community Employment Credit
- Form 8845 Indian Employment Credit
- Form 8859 District of Columbia First-Time Homebuyer Credit
- Form 8864 Biodiesel and Renewable Diesel Fuels Credit
- Form 8874 New Markets Credits
- Form 8900 Qualified Railroad Track Maintenance Credit
- Form 8903 Domestic Production Activities Deduction
- Form 8908 Energy Efficient Home Credit
- Form 8909 Energy Efficient Appliance Credit
- Form 8910 Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit
- Form 8911 Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit
- Form 8912 Credit to Holders of Tax Credit Bonds
- Form 8923 Mine Rescue Team Training Credit
- Form 8932 Credit for Employer Differential Wage Payments
- Form 8936 Qualified Plug-in Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit
We recommend that you get your information to us as soon as possible to avoid any last minute delays. Completed returns will wait in “holding queue” until the IRS is ready to accept these returns.
If you have any questions regarding how these delays may affect your specific situation, please do not hesitate to contact us.