QuickBooks 2013 has a number of new features and enhancements. The following is a brief overview of the major changes to this new application.
Changes in the User Interface
- There are major changes in the visual design of the program, and how you navigate. The new visual design overhaul changes the fonts, spacing and colors in just about every portion of the program. This is a more “modern” appearance, and there has been a lot of work done to try to standardize the look and feel throughout QuickBooks.
- A major new addition is the left icon bar for navigation. Instead of a top icon bar that we are used to, major navigation features have been moved to the left side of the screen.
- Ribbons on transaction windows – Thirteen transaction windows will have a new “ribbon” interface at the top. If you are using Microsoft Word 2010 (for example), you are familiar with the “ribbon” interface. This helps gather together many features that relate to these transaction windows into one easy to use place.
- QuickBooks has a number of Centers, like the Customer Center, and several of these have been improved in a number of ways.
- Tabs have been added so that you can quickly access transactions, contacts, to-do’s and notes easily.
- Notes have been changed so that you can have multiple notes per record, instead of just one.
- The edit window for the records in these Centers have been updated with a number of visual improvements, as well as the ability to choose (to a degree) which fields show.
- Send general journal entries to your clients via email. This is NOT the “accountant’s copy” feature, it is a simple way to send a single journal entry transaction to your client via email.
- Batch Enter transactions allows you to quickly enter (or import from Excel) large numbers of checks, credit card charges or deposits.
- Auto PO’s: With the click of a button in the Inventory Stock Status by Item report, create all the PO’s necessary
- Default classes: A time saving feature where class assignments can be set up to fill in automatically.
- The Advanced Inventory feature is only available if you purchase an annual support contract AND pay an additional fee each year. These features are not found in Enterprise without the additional fee. In the past this is where we have found multiple locations, FIFO costing, serial numbers and lot tracking. There are a variety of enhancements in this area. Please let us know if you use this service and we will provide yu with a comprehensive list of new features.
QuickBooks for Mac
- Data Import: Populate contacts and products or services bought or sold by importing contacts automatically from the Address Book, or by copying and pasting contact or item information from spreadsheets. Data Import speeds up and simplifies the process of getting key information into QuickBooks.
- Improved New User Experience: Learn how to use QuickBooks fast. Helpful tutorials and tips, including video how-to’s, offer in-product guidance when the user needs it.
- Attached Documents: Small business owners will have the information they need right at their fingertips with the new Document Attachments feature, which attaches contracts, proposals, receipts and more to related records for easy reference.
- Batch Invoicing: Streamlines the process of invoicing multiple customers for the same service by creating a template and invoicing all customers simultaneously.
- Intuit PaymentNetwork: Enables small businesses to get paid faster. It provides a way for a small business’s customers to instantly pay their invoices electronically. Payments easily sync with QuickBooks.
- Improved Reconciliation: Helps minimize errors and easily identify discrepancies through optimized filters and searches when reconciling QuickBooks data with bank statements. Users can view previous reconciliation reports for snapshots of their businesses over time.
We recommend that unless you are forced into QuickBooks 2013, that you wait for the next couple of technical releases to fix bugs that exist in the initial application. This is a step in the right direction for Intuit, but not a must have upgrade. If you have any questions regarding QuickBooks 2013 or your accounting system please do not hesitate to contact us.