Last Minute Year-End Tax Saving Moves for Individuals

Although there are only two weeks left to go before the year ends, it’s not too late to implement some planning moves that can improve your tax situation for 2011 and beyond.

Here are some moves you can take before Dec. 31 to improve your overall tax picture.

  • Make HSA contributions. A calendar year taxpayer who became an eligible individual under the health savings account (HSA) rules on December 1, 2011, is treated as having been an eligible individual for the entire year. Thus, you may make a full year’s deductible-above-the-line contribution for 2011. That means a deduction of $3,050 for individual coverage, and $6,150 for family coverage (those age 55 or older get an additional $1,000 catch-up amount).
  • Nail down losses on stock while substantially preserving your investment position. A taxpayer may have experienced paper losses on stock in a particular company or industry in which he wants to keep an investment. You may be able to realize the losses on the shares for tax purposes and still retain the same, or approximately the same, investment position. This can be accomplished by selling the shares and buying other shares in the same company or another company in the same industry to replace them. There are several ways this can be done. For example, an individual can sell the original holding, then buy back the same securities at least 31 days later. It is good idea to work closely with your investment advisor this time of year to insure we do not have any unpleasant tax surprises in April.
  • Convert a regular IRA to a Roth IRA. Individuals who believe a Roth IRA is a better strategy than a traditional IRA, and want to remain in the market for the long term, should convert traditional-IRA money invested in beaten-down stocks (or mutual funds) into a Roth IRA. Note, however, that such a conversion shouldn’t be done without considering the overall tax situation. Even at depressed market levels, a 2011 rollover or conversion still will increase your taxable income.
  • Recharacterizing a traditional IRA to Roth IRA conversion. If you converted assets in a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA earlier in the year, the assets in the Roth IRA account may have declined in value. If things are left things as-is, you will wind up paying a higher tax than is necessary. However, there’s a way to back out of the transaction, namely by recharacterizing the rollover or conversion. This involves transferring the converted amount (plus earnings, or minus losses) from the Roth IRA back to a traditional IRA via a trustee-to-trustee transfer. You can later reconvert to a Roth IRA.
  • Accelerate deductible contributions. You should keep in mind that charitable contributions and medical expenses are deductible when charged to their credit card accounts (e.g., in 2011) rather than when they pay the card company (e.g., in 2012).
  • Solve an underpayment problem. An individual who expects to be underwithheld for 2011 should consider asking his employer—if it’s not too late to do so—to increase income tax withholding before year-end. Generally, income tax withheld by an employer from an employee’s wages or salary is treated as paid in equal amounts on each of the four installment due dates. Thus, if an employee asks his employer to withhold additional amounts for the rest of the year, the penalty can be retroactively eliminated. This is because the heavy year-end withholding will be treated as paid equally over the four installment due dates.  Please remember that the underpayment penalty for 2011 is roughly 1.5% of the amount under paid.
  • Accelerate big ticket purchases into 2011 to get sales tax deduction. Unless Congress acts this year or next to extend it, the option for itemizers to deduct state and local sales taxes in lieu of state and local income taxes will expire at the end of 2011. As a result, individuals who will elect on their 2011 return to claim a state and local general sales tax deduction instead of a state and local income tax deduction, and are considering the purchase of a big-ticket item (e.g., a car or boat), should consider accelerating the purchase into this year to achieve a higher itemized deduction for sales taxes.
  • Pre-pay qualified higher education expenses for first quarter of 2012. Unless Congress extends it, the up-to-$4,000 above-the-line deduction for qualified higher education expenses will not be available after 2011. Thus, consider prepaying eligible expenses if doing so will increase their deduction for qualified higher education expenses. Generally, the deduction is allowed for qualified education expenses paid in 2011 in connection with enrollment at an institution of higher education during 2011 or for an academic period beginning in 2011 or in the first 3 months of 2012.
  • Lock in the potential to earn tax-free gains. There is no tax on gain from the sale of qualified small business stock (QSBS) that is: (1) purchased after September 27, 2010 and before January 1, 2012, and (2) held for more than five years. In addition, such sales won’t cause AMT preference problems. To qualify for these breaks, the stock must be issued by a regular (C) corporation with total gross assets of $50 million or less, and a number of other technical requirements must be met.
  • Be sure to take required minimum distributions (RMDs). Taxpayers who have reached age 70- 1/2 should be sure to take their 2011 RMD from their IRAs or 401(k) plans (or other employer-sponsored retired plans). Failure to take a required withdrawal can result in a penalty of 50% of the amount of the RMD not withdrawn. Those who turned age 70- 1/2 in 2011, can delay the first required distribution to 2012. However, taxpayers who take the deferral route will have to take a double distribution in 2012—the amount required for 2011 plus the amount required for 2012.
  • Make year-end gifts. A person can give any other person up to $13,000 for 2011 without incurring any gift tax. The annual exclusion amount increases to $26,000 per donee if the donor’s spouse consents to gift-splitting. Annual exclusion gifts take the amount of the gift and future appreciation in the value of the gift out of the donor’s estate, and shift the income tax obligation on the property’s earnings to the donee who may be in a lower tax bracket (if not subject to the kiddie tax).

If you have any questions regarding these year end planning ideas and how to implement them for your specific situation, please do not hesitate to contact us.

This entry was posted in Blog, Featured on Homepage, Tax Planning and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.